Thursday, December 17, 2009

Four Weddings

...and NOT a funeral. But rather a contest. Let me explain: I'm in my hotel room in Nashville and watching a guilty pleasure show called Say Yes to the Dress. The show is set in a bridal salon in NYC where girls have an appointment with a sales consultant and then they do little interviews with all the people involved. It's not as obnoxious as Bridezillas - which, for the record, I have to believe is mostly staged. And if it's not, who the hell is marrying those girls?!?

Okay, I digress. Back to point - so, on a commercial TLC describes a new show, Four Weddings. The entire premise of this program will be that 4 newly married women will JUDGE each other's weddings, comment, and then vote on the winner; the winner gets a honeymoon.

I despise this premise! Bridezillas is sort of funny, if you can make it through a whole show. Whose Wedding Is It Anyway is also funny (planners and couples collide....think champagne taste on beer budgets and spoiled brats). These two shows are pretty mindless and sometimes I watch only to feel better about my own mindset during planning our upcoming wedding. But Four Weddings seems to really cross a line for me. WEDDINGS ARE NOT CONTESTS!!!

Of course we've all been to weddings where you ooh and aah, love a detail, think something would "not be my choice," and unfortunately, sometimes you see something a little cringe-worthy. But the entire point is that it is (or, let me amend this and say should be) about the couple getting married - their tastes, family traditions/expectations, dreams, etc. It's not about a SHOW for others. And I think it is complete bullshit for a TV show to turn it into a snark-fest so other girls can be snotty catfighters snickering about something someone else did. And I'm sure there will be moments of, "Oh, I wish I did that" (wait, I know there will because that's in the promo), but in general it's most likely going to be a how-much-can-I-tear-another-girl-down fiesta. No thank you. Grow up girls, show some class. Oh, and you, too, TLC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you say?